Evan Kleiman's love for pie began when she was a little girl and asked for an apple pie instead of a birthday cake. She still has a birthday pie to celebrate her birthday every July, but this summer was different. She baked a pie a day for the whole summer.
Recipe: ESPRESSO CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
- Evan Kleiman, host of member station KCRW's award-winning program, Good Food
In this recipe the Cocoa Nibs, coffee extract and bittersweet chocolate cut the sweetness of the traditional filling and add a deeper flavor. They can be found at Surfas in Culver City or at www.surfasonline.com
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked or frozen deep-dish pie crust
- 6 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate, broken into chunks
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Karo© Light or Dark Corn Syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups pecans
- ¼ cup Sharffen Berger Cocoa Nibs*
- 1 Tablespoon Trablit Coffee Extract *
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Scatter the chunks of chocolate over the pie crust.
- In medium bowl with fork beat eggs slightly. Add sugar, Karo®, butter and coffee extract and stir until blended. Stir in pecans and Cocoa Nibs. Pour into pie crust.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.