To The Best of Our Knowledge
from Wisconsin Public Radio
When Charles Mingus died, his widow took his ashes
to India and scattered them in the Ganges. But that wasn't the end.
In this hour of To the Best of Our Knowledge, Sue Mingus
talks about the legacy of her late husband's music: his spirituality,
his anger, and his love. Also, a conversation with the Bad Plus,
a cutting-edge trio who put a jazz spin on Nirvana, Abba, and Black
The Bad Plus
Ethan Iverson, Reid Anderson, Dave King
The Bad Plus is a hot young jazz trio that
puts a jazz spin of rock classics from Nirvana and Black Sabbath.
The members of Bad Plus tell Steve Paulson that they treat all
musical material the same. And we hear examples of their music.
Sue Mingus is the author of Tonight at
Noon: A Love Story. She's also the widow of jazz legend Charles
Mingus. Sue Mingus tells Jim Fleming how she met her husband,
recalls their two weddings, explains why she spread her husband's
ashes in the Ganges River and talks about his last days in Mexico.
And we hear lots of his music.
Frederick Turner is the author of 1929:
a Novel of the Jazz Age. Turner reads from the book and talks
with Steve Paulson about its central character, Bix Beiderbeck.
Bix was a coronet player, pianist and composer from Davenport,
Iowa who was a brilliant jazz player, but died very young of alcoholism.
Also, Gene Santoro is a jazz and popular music critic for
The Nation, and the author of Highway 61 Revisited. He
tells Anne Strainchamps that Louis Armstrong is one of the most
influential musical figures of all time and that you can hear
echoes of his style in everything from country to hip hop. And
we hear samples to prove it.
Cassette copies are available
at 1-800-747-7444. Ask for program number 04-03-28-B.
- Sue Mingus, Tonight at Noon: a love story
- Gene Santoro, Highway 61 Revisited: The
Common Roots of American Jazz, Blues, Folk, Rock and Country Music
- Gene Santoro, Myself When I am Real:
The Life and Music of Charles Mingus (Oxford)
- -Big Eater/ The Bad Plus/ "These
are the Vistas"/ Sony
- -Smells Like Teen Spirit/ The Bad Plus/ "These
are the Vistas"/ Sony
- -Iron Man/ The Bad Plus/ "Give"
- -Do Your Sums-Die Like a Dog-Play for Home/ The
Bad Plus/ "Give"/ Sony
- -Dirty Blonde/ The Bad Plus/ "Give"/
- -Tonight at Noon/ The Charles Mingus Orchestra/
"Three or Four Shades of Love"/ Dreyfus
- -Body and Soul/ Charles Mingus/ "Mingus Plays
Piano"/ Grp Records
- -Myself When I Am Real/ Charles Mingus/ "Mingus
Plays Piano"/ Grp Records
- -Boogie Stop Shuffle/ Charles Mingus/ "Mingus
Ah Um"/ Columbia
- -Eclipse/ The Charles Mingus Orchestra/ "Three
or Four Shades of Love"/
- -Goose Pimples/ Bix Beiderbecke/ "Giants
of Jazz: Bix Beiderbecke"/ Time Life Records
- -Since My Best Girl Turned Me Down/ Bix Beiderbecke/
"Giants of Jazz: Bix Beiderbecke"/ Time Life Records
- -(Yes) I'm in the Barrel/ Louis Armstrong/ "Louis
Armstrong: The Hot Fives Vol. 1"/ Columbia
- -Castles of Sand/ Jimi Hendrix/ "Experience
Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix"/ Mca Records
- -India/ John Coltrane
- -Dark Star/ The Grateful Dead
- -What is this Thing Called Love/ Clifford Brown/
"The Complete EmArcy Recordings of Clifford Brown"/
Questions and comments can
be addressed to: email@example.com
our shows :: about
us :: search :: home